Gantz Manga Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah

3 posters

Go down

Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Empty Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah

Post by techmanmacho Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:56 am

Discovery: Scotch tape is X-ray-ted
The wonders of duct tape are well known. Now, its clear cousin is showing its scientific stuff.

Researchers have discovered that Scotch tape emits X-rays — as long as you're peeling it in a vacuum chamber.

"We were very surprised," Juan Escobar, a UCLA graduate student, told the Associated Press. "The power you could get from just peeling tape was enormous."

He and his colleagues X-rayed a finger (photo), and that might lead to development of cheap, portable X-ray machines for paramedics or for locations lacking electricity.

But fear not, gift-wrappers of America. "We don't want to scare people from using Scotch tape in everyday life," Escobar said in their report on the findings, appearing in tomorrow's issue of the journal Nature.

It's not the first time that cello-tape's X-ray power have been detected. Soviet scientists reported similar findings more than 50 years ago when they peeled tape off glass. The current research demonstrates the quantity of X-rays that could be produced, the authors note.

Read the article and see photos of the glowing tape.

(Photo of finger X-ray by Carlos Camara, Juan V. Escobar and Seth J. Putterman of the UCLA Laboratory of Low Temperatures and Acoustics, via AP.)
techmanmacho
techmanmacho
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : computer guy
Humor : What, me worry?
Brownie Points :
Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Left_bar_bleue999 / 100999 / 100Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://gantzmangagroup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Empty Re: Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah

Post by Yoyoman360 Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 am

What? .........I heard this on the news, but I need pictures. I need hardcore scientific data. study

Yoyoman360

Number of posts : 16
Brownie Points :
Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-21

Back to top Go down

Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Empty Re: Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah

Post by ScatterBrain88 Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:36 pm

now all i have to do is bring any present i get into my vacuum chamber to peek at there glorious insides.....
ALRIGHT!!
Science 1 - Christmas 0

Basketball
ScatterBrain88
ScatterBrain88

Male
Number of posts : 1
Humor : :)
Brownie Points :
Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-11-06

http://meltinjohn.newgrounds.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by techmanmacho Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:41 pm

Yes, but remember, you do have to peel the tape off...
techmanmacho
techmanmacho
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 247
Job/hobbies : computer guy
Humor : What, me worry?
Brownie Points :
Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Left_bar_bleue999 / 100999 / 100Peeling Scotch Tape produces X-Rays....yeeeaaaah Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-10-20

https://gantzmangagroup.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum